Province Responding to Consultation on Provincial and Demonstration Schools
August 8, 2016 10:00 A.M. Ministry of Education
Today Ontario is announcing next steps to strengthen supports for students who are Deaf or hard of hearing, blind or have low vision, deaf-blind, or have severe learning disabilities.
Based on consultations held in spring 2016 with students, families and education and community partners about how Ontario’s provincial and demonstration schools can best support students’ needs, over the coming year the province will:
- Keep all provincial and demonstration schools open
- Pilot intensive reading intervention projects in school boards to increase the availability and responsiveness of supports for students with severe learning disabilities in their local communities
- Establish a reference group to provide guidance and input on strengthening supports for students who are Deaf or hard of hearing
- Pursue legislative changes to transfer the governance structure of Centre Jules-Léger to the 12 French-language school boards to better support French-language students.
These changes support the province’s commitment to ensure the success and well-being of every student no matter where they live.
Working with its education and community partners, Ontario is transforming its education system to deliver responsive, high-quality and accessible services and programs that are integrated from early learning and child care, through to adult education. Ontario will continue to find innovative ways to deliver better outcomes for our students and learners so they have the skills they need to succeed.
- Summaries of the consultations are posted on the Ministry of Education’s website.
- Provincial and demonstration schools provide programs and services for students who are Deaf or hard of hearing, blind or have low vision, deafblind, or have learning disabilities.
- Provincial and Demonstration Schools Consultation Summaries: Consultation Summary by The Strategic Counsel (Robarts School for the Deaf and English-Language Demonstration Schools) and Consultation Summary by PDF Consultants (Centre Jules-Léger)
- Provincial and Demonstration Schools in Ontario
- Ontario French Language Services Commissioner’s Report (July 2015)
Quotes“We need to ensure equity and better serve our students who are Deaf, blind or have severe learning disabilities by providing them with robust services and effective programs in their home communities. The consultation gave us valuable insight and feedback about how to best meet students’ needs so they can reach their full potential in school, and in life. It is important for us to listen to parents and to respond to their advice and insights. I want to thank them for their passion and perspective.”
-Mitzie Hunter, Minister of Education