Volunteer for Reading Rocks - Become a Literacy Tutor!
Volunteer opportunities are available in Burlington, Oakville, Milton and at our newest site launching in April 2019 – Hamilton.
Click on the tabs below to learn more about the role of a Volunteer Tutor.
Scroll down to apply for this rewarding opportunity!
Will develop skills related to:
- Individualized literacy program development
- Working with children
- Interpersonal communication
- Gaining an understanding of the special needs of a vulnerable reader
- Increased knowledge of Learning Disabilities and/or ADHD
- Gaining valuable work related experience while making a difference in a child’s life
*REFERENCE LETTERS AND CONFIRMATION OF COMMUNITY INVOLVEMENT HOURS PROVIDED*
Great Resume Booster
- Work with a pair of children that require literacy support, for 8 weeks, twice per week for 1 hour (16 nights in total), using existing tools while developing and implementing a literacy program to meet the needs of each individual child
- Implement engaging and hands-on literacy activities and games to teach and reinforce the components of the program
- Develop a unique and creative work station/poster board with the child where the child’s successes are graphed and celebrated
- Conduct informal literacy assessments on the first and last night of the program
- Provide a positive learning environment to invoke motivation and confidence in the children